How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Urologist,M.D. Your Own Question
Urologist,M.D., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 4106
Experience:  Board Certified in Urology, Fellowship trained
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Urologist,M.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had abdominal pain that feels like a pulled muscle,

Resolved Question:

I have had abdominal pain that feels like a pulled muscle, only deeper and more severe... a ten out of ten when moving, about a 7 out of ten while laying flat... any suggestions?

*Extreme lower abd pain that can starts out so bad I get nauseous from the pain.

*If I lay flat on my back for a few hours and barely move (even deep breaths hurt) the pain subsides to a tolerable, but still limping, level. Sitting is the worst position.

*Pain is generalized to entire lower belly (skin on belly is usually hot to touch when episodes occur as well). No actual stomach ailments coincide with pain (diarreah, gas, etc.)

*Generally starts in the middle of the night (3, 4 AM) and wake up with over filled bladder (sometimes have spillover in bed). Run to the bathroom and that's when pain starts, as soon as I sit. Have to crawl back to bed thinking I'm dying.

*Started in August 2006 with occurances that lasted a day and happened around once a month. Now they last around 3 days and happen anywhere from 1X every 3 months to 2X a month.

*No real problems with frequency. Some urgency and leakage issues but not to the point that most IC sufferers I've heard from have complained of... my only real symptom is the debilitating pain.

~ER docs usually say Ovarian cysts, which doesn't seem right to me.
~ER docs always test for appendicitis because of severity and location of pain.
~Primary Care doc thought Endometriosis, Gyne said probably not (had a 3-day occurance during pregnancy in March 2007... guess Endometriosis doesn't act up during pregnancy)
~Gyne said probably Interstitial Cystitis...
~Urologist said bladder looked great after cystoscopy w/ hydrodistention... but still perscribed meds for IC (Elmiron) because "it can sometimes help pelvic pain"... I am not taking the medicine
~Now GP won't send me elsewhere to look for cause of pain... because I am being perscribed the meds for IC (even though I was told I don't have it). So Uro is screwing my chances of finding out what IS wrong with me by giving me these meds and no diagnosis.
~I am even more convinced that it is tied to my bladder because I did not have an episode for a year after the hydrodistention... first one was over a year later and mild... second episode happened about 3 months after that... and now I am back to having about 2 episodes a month that are exruciating.

Someone please help. I am about to try and get a 3rd opinion from a urologist and would feel better if I had some suggestions.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Urologist,M.D. replied 6 years ago.
This sounds like IC, especially if you responded to hydrodistension for one year. You need to look into pelvic floor muscle therapy with myofascial trigger release to help with this. This has been shown to be a very effective treatment for IC and is noninvasive. It is something to definitely discuss with your urologist. As a last resort, Interstim nerve stimulation therapy can help with this ( These are things to discuss with your urologist when you see him. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The first urologist I saw said that my symptoms were not similar to IC, IC sufferers say that it doesn't sound like IC because the only thing that flares it is an over extended bladder, and my second uroloigist said my bladder looked fine on the cystoscopy. Should I bring the IC idea to a 3rd Urologist or look for a new possible diagnosis?
Expert:  Urologist,M.D. replied 6 years ago.
Well, i would definitely bring it up with him. IC typically gets worse when the bladder is full and is better sometimes with urination. Cystoscopy is usually normal in IC patients so that is not usually helpful. IC can present in all different ways and pain can occur at different times and places.
Urologist,M.D. and 2 other Urology Specialists are ready to help you