How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20390
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 45 year old male and have had frequent urination

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am a 45 year old male and have had frequent urination issues since August of this year. I take Lisinopril HCTZ 20/25mg and Simvastin 20mg. My symptoms started in August when I woke up for my usual 3:00am trip to the bathroom. As soon as I went, I felt like I had to go again. The whole next day I had these symptoms. I went to the Walk In and they felt it was a UTI and started me on Cipro but my culture came back negative. I went to a Urologist and without any type of exam, except a check to make sure I was draining my bladder which I am, he believed it is Prostatitis and told me to continue with the Cipro which I did for about 4 days but broke out in hives. He then prescribed Sulfamethoxazole/tmp Ds 800/160 for 10 days. I still had symptoms and went back to the Urologist, again no exam but he prescribed Levaquin 500mg for 28 days. Again, I was still having symptoms and went back, He still did no exam and prescribed Doxycycline 100mg for 30 days which I'm currently taking.
I went to my GP last week to get his opinion, he examed my prostate and said it was enlarged and "boggy" but it was not tender (not prostatitis). He said it could have been Prostatitis that caused the Prostate to be enlarged. He also did a urine culture which was negative and re-checked to make sure my bladder was draining which it is. He told me to stay on the Doxycycline for the remained of the 30 days. If that does work he wants me to go back in so he can re-exam the prostate and start me on a different medication for the Prostate. My PSA test was .2 as well. I've had my urine checked several times and there is no blood in it. I also had a penis culture which was negative as well.
Basically my symptoms are frequency of urination, urine leakage/inconstanance and sometime some penial discomfort. Sometimes when I drink alot it seems like the liquid "goes right through me". Some days my symptoms are worse than others, I can't nail down what the reason maybe although drinking alcohol seems like it may make it a little worse. I don't believe the antibotics are helping.
I'm not sure if I had prostatitis or enlarged prostate if there a difference. Does an enlarged prostate cause these symptoms for this long? Do the antibotics I'm taking treat prostatitis and would they help an enlarged prostate. My symptoms are starting to get me down and I'm not sure what to do next.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

I'm surprised that your urologist never examined you. Your symptoms warrant treatment by a competent urologist who is willing to do an examine on you and it sounds to me like you need to find a new urologist.

Does an enlarged prostate cause these symptoms for this long? Yes, an enlarged prostate can cause these symptoms permanently unless the enlargement is treated with medications such as Proscar to shrink the prostate and Flomax to relax the prostate muscle to stop the urinary frequency. Meds like oxybutinin can also be prescribed to stop the bladder spasms that you may be having (which may be causing the leakage of urine).

Do the antibiotics I'm taking treat prostatitis and would they help an enlarged prostate.- They can treat prostatitis, but have to be taken for 4-6 weeks to fully treat an infection. They will do nothing to treat an enlarged prostate.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My GP said since the prostate was not tender, it probably isn't prostatitis. Should I ask him if I should stop taking the doxy antibotic and take something like flomax? He said it was enlarged and "boggy" but to continue the doxy and then go back for him to re-exam the prostate. I'm getting tired of the symptoms though. Is there any natural herb such as pyguem that I can start taking to help thats safe ?

Natural herbs will not help you problem. If you really want your problem diagnosed and treated correctly, you need to go to a competent urologist. Your GP may be a good doc, but he is not as experienced at diagnosing and treating prostatitis. To rule out prostatitis, you should have your urine and prostate secretions cultured (obtained by a prostate massage). If the cultures are negative, then antibiotics are not going to help and you likely need to be on Flomax and Proscar instead.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you