How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20386
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 11 year old son says it burns when he urinates. It just

Resolved Question:

My 11 year old son says it burns when he urinates. It just started, and otherwise he feels fine. What are the likely causes and what can be done? Thank you for any thoughts on this.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

Burning during urination is typically a sign of a urinary tract infection. He needs to see his pediatrician to have his urine cultured to rule out infection. If he has an infection, then he will need to be referred to a pediatric urologist for further evaluation of the cause of the infection. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anything other than a urinary tract infection, as I thought that a urinary tract infection would be extremely rare in a 11 year old boy.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
UTIs are rare in boys (but certaily does happen), but a sudden onset of burning during urination is classic for a UTI. The only other thing this may possibly be is pain from a bladder spasm from dysfunctional voiding, but boys who have this typically have had a long history of urinary urgency and frequency and even urinary incontinence. It sounds to me like he needs his urine tested for infection.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you