Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

Lower abdominal ct scan on October 6th discloses a dark spot

in my upper (left?) kidney...
Lower abdominal ct scan on October 6th discloses a dark spot in my upper (left?) kidney. 9x9x11 cm in size. I had a bout with high blood pressure about 24 months to 8 months ago. 170 over 120 at the highest. The blood pressure was effectively controlled by amplodipine. I stopped taking the amplodipine about 5 months ago and my blood pressure remains ~135/75.

Lungs and bones are clear. but thrombus for vena cava which "could be bland or tumor". October 8th MRA confirms mass.

Radiologist suggests renal cell carcinoma is consistant. The surgeon who had the test taken was only to happy to go along with the suggestion. Wants to remove whole kidney. Should I rush to accept?

hemoglobin dropped over 8 months from 11.6 to 4. Brought back up by transfusions to ~10. No blood leaks from urine. stool test not back yet. Srength back up.

Is there a way to attempt to resolve without surgery. Is it possible that there is a way to confirm tentative diagnosis, which the surgeon is eagar to accept and to remove whole kidney?

Duke
10/23/2010
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Hi there,
Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.
The only things that cause tumors to grow into the vena cava are cancers of the kidney or adrenal glands. You have an advanced renal cell cancer that requires ammajor surgery to remove the entire kidney and opening of the vena cava to remove the tumor clot. This doesn't require any additional tests. Hope this helps.

You are a surgeon, I asked for alternatives. I realize that the 15th century cure of amputation is attractive to you.

I would like this discussion with other than a surgeon. It is not that I am fighting this answer but the surgury may have significant downsides.

Relist: I asked for non-surgical solutions, Dr. Y is a surgeon and gave me surgeon answers..
I asked for non-surgical solutions, Dr. Y is a surgeon and gave me surgeon answers.
Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist
Usually the treatment for this is surgical, unfortunately. However, if you want to be sure this is renal call cancer, then request your doctor to do a biopsy so you will know. In terms of nonsurgical treatment, visit with a medical oncologist that treats kidney cancer. There may be some experimental trials or chemotherapy that can be given forst to see if there is a response to nonsurgical treatment. It would be worthwhile for you to explore these so that you feel more comfortable with whatever treatment your doctors recommend. Hope this helps.
lt;p>Bone scan and chest mri were clear. clots appear in lower vena what is the range of speed if it is cancer of metastasizing?</p><p> </p><p>What is the prognosis if I have radiacal kidney removal and removal of the venal cysts? Srival rate, time and quality of life?</p>
The range of speed once the cancer has spread into the vena cava is very quick so you will want to get treated ASAP. Or you risk spread to other organs and if this happens, your survival rate goes way down. Your prognosis is actually very good if you have no metastasis to solid organs and if your surgeon is able to remove all the tumor thrombus during the surgery along with your kidney. It is still treatable, so don't wait too long.
I realize that there is no firm answer to this question, but would give me an estimate of "ASAP" and "quick", I would like as much time as possible to determine testing. Thank you, ***** *****
If this is renal cell cancer and tumor is in your vena cava, I would get this operated on no later than one month. If you wanted, that will give you time to get other studies, but get that kidney out no later than one month.
Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist
other than the disabused renal biopsy, are there ANY tests to determine cancer, what about biopsy of the vena cysts, anaysis of the blood in the urine? other than the guess of the radiologist?
No, only biopsy of the tumor or visual appearance based on CT scan. This is how we diagnose renal cell cancer.
Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist