Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist
Experience:  Board Certified in Urology, Fellowship trained
19896974

How much does it cost to implant an Interstim to control the

How much does it cost to implant an Interstim to control the bladders? And how much is the cost of the interem itself.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Urologist,M.D. replied 6 years ago.
If you absolutely do not have insurance, the interstim device itself costs about 14-15,000$. If you have insurance, then this is always covered but without it it is very expensive.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I had an interstim implanted and thought it was "outrageous" when I received my itemized bill. (which I requested) As follows: neurostimulator - $41,520.10

lead wire 11,766.40

2nd lead wire 1211.00

programmer 5,242.00

Do you consider this an inappropriate charge? Before it was discounted down my entire hospital bill was $68,163.70 for same day surgery!! Is there any official resource I could report such charges to?

Here's what you have to understand, just because this amount was billed, your insurance did not pay anywhere near this amount. They could have been billed one million dollars but they only pay what they are going to pay which is a fraction of the itemized bill.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand about the insurance paying a fraction of the bill. I am just frustrated that they upcharged the amount so much which of course indirectly effects what I have to pay. But, isn't that amount awfully high?
The actual device itself costs about $16,000 so if the insurance is not billed alot, the hospital, etc. will lose alot of money on this. Unfortunately insurances don't like to pay so they are billed more so that costs can actually be covered.