Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

What is the general price range of a testicular hydrocele…

What is the general price...
What is the general price range of a testicular hydrocele 'aspiration' when it is almost the size of a softball? (only one testicle), .. & are the Chinese herbs that claim to shrink hydroceles effective at all or just bunk to get your money? I ordered "Hydrotab", guaranteed to cure Hydrocele, & it was mailed from Pakistan !! so I am scared to take it. Do doctors inject something in after aspiration to stop it from happening again? Cannot have surgery because of having Congenital Thrombocytopenia. (18,000 platelet count) Ron B.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/9/2010
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
It should cost around $200 or so to aspirate a hydrocele. I would not take that medication you got from Pakistan because no one knows what the heck is in there. There is no medication you can take to make a hydrocele go away. Tetracycline can be injected into the hydrocele sac to try to make it scar down to prevent recurrence. Hope this helps.
Helpful ! Is an aspiration just an easy doctors office process without any hospital dealings? & can very tight underwear & some cupped hand pressure at night possibly help in any reabsorbing of a hydrocele? Aspiration sure sounds better than surgery! Is the Tetracyline generally high percentage successful in stopping it?
the aspiration is done in the office with no hospital dealings. No, tight underwear and pressure will not make the hydrocele go away. It had to be treated with either surgery or aspiration. Surgery has the best chance for cure for a hydrocele. Aspiration is a simpler technique, but has a high chance for failure even with the use of Tetracycline because the actual fluid sac is not removed. I would put the chances of success around 20-30%, but if you can't have surgery, then this is your best option. Hope this helps

If letting the hydrocele go for a while can it cause extra problems in being larger yet, like the water in it possibly going bad & infecting, which seems it could. ??

If the necessary Urologist aspiration fails to stop it, then it may have to be done on a regular basis, but how do I know just when is the proper time it absolutely needs to be done, like is there any dangerous size limit to know, or any other danger in putting it off for long periods.??

The only problem with this 4 inch cele now is occasional chigger like itching, & think it has taken away the ability to have a firm erection, or is that possibly from being 63 now maybe.??

If in surgery & removing the fluid sac, then if that failed to stop the fluid formation wouldn't it just fill the whole outer scrotum bag with water instead then??

Your knowledge is greatly helping me to understand this situation Dr. Y I really appreciate this, & this should rap up my questions. Thank You ! Ron B.

If letting the hydrocele go for a while can it cause extra problems in being larger yet, like the water in it possibly going bad & infecting, which seems it could. ?? It may get slightly larger over time, but not by much. It will not become infected unless something penetrates it such a needle for aspirating it. Infection is the big risk of aspiration of the hydrocele.
If the necessary Urologist aspiration fails to stop it, then it may have to be done on a regular basis, but how do I know just when is the proper time it absolutely needs to be done, like is there any dangerous size limit to know, or any other danger in putting it off for long periods.? There is no need to treat a hydrocele unless it is so large that it causes pain or interferes with you clothing. Hydroceles are completely benign and filled with simple body fluid. Repeated aspiration will almost guarantee that an infection will develop in the fluid sac.
The only problem with this 4 inch cele now is occasional chigger like itching, & think it has taken away the ability to have a firm erection, or is that possibly from being 63 now maybe.?? Your ED is from age, not the hydrocele. I'm not sure if the itching is caused by it either.
If in surgery & removing the fluid sac, then if that failed to stop the fluid formation wouldn't it just fill the whole outer scrotum bag with water instead then?? No it will not. The fluid comes from the lining of the sac

Once a hydrocele starts, in the 60's, will it most likely remain a problem all through life, if no surgery is possible & only occasional aspiration for it, or does the body 'sometimes' just happen to automatically correct the continuing problem of refilling over time ??

Tight underware will not stop hydrocele, ok, but could it possibly help in slowing its progression?? What if anything can slow it?? Your answers have sure eased my worry Dr. Y Thanks, ***** *****

Hydroceles are very common in men even if it starts in your 60's. Most do not cause problems and do not need any intervention unless they are so large that they cause pain or interfere with clothing. Occasional aspiration is not a good idea as this just leads to infection. The body will not correct this on its own, but as I said there is no need to fix this issue unless it causes problems. There is nothing that will slow the progression of a hydrocele. Most do not get bigger at all and remain stable forever.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist