How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20386
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is a 63 year old white male. Good health. Exercise

Resolved Question:

My father is a 63 year old white male. Good health. Exercise four times a week. Two years ago his 1st PSA reading was done and was said to be very high (8). He did not experience any problems whatsoever. He was requested to undergo a prostate biopsy. After the biopsy the continued to experience burning sensation while urinating. He also had erectile disfunction. The doctor prescribed a long course of antibiotics (2 weeks). The antibiotic treatment did not cure the systems mentioned.   Nine months later he went for another PSA test which showed an increase from (8 to 11). Again he was requested to go for a second biopsy. The second biopsy also came out negative. He again used the two week antibiotic treatment, however, after two years he is still suffering from a burning sensation while urinating and still has the erctile disfunction. He also has lower back pain and sometimes experience pain in the groin. I have to mention that he has a genetic cholestrol problem. Three years ago he had an angiogram whereby one of his arteries were blocked and the blockaged was opened without the use of a stent.   Since then the cardiologist prescribed medication namely (Crestor, Ziac and ecotrin. He has been suffering from muscle pains however after the second prostate biopsy the new symptoms as above started. Although these new sysmptoms are not persistant and comes and goes. The new pains in his back and knee are mainly where he sustained previous sporting injuries. My questions is, what could cause these symptons and how do we treat this.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
It sounds as if he is having pains related to an infection of the prostate called prostatitis. This is a very difficult infection to treat and can take up to 6-8 weeks of antibiotic therapy to clear up. His urologist can prescribe a med called flomax to help relax the prostate and decrease his discomfort. He can also be referred to to a pelvic floor rehab specialist to help him learn exercises to relax the pelvic floor to decrease the pain. As a last resort, if all this fails, his urologist may want to consider doing a procedure called a transurethral resection of the prostate to remove any infected tissue and open up his urine channel. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Edited by Dr. Y on 9/2/2010 at 2:57 PM EST
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you