How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20389
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 74 and had a 'roto-rooter' prostate procedure 2 yrs

Resolved Question:

lt;p>I am 74 and had a 'roto-rooter' prostate procedure 2 yrs ago which was highly successful to relieve urinary problems. Recently, I have had a small amount of fresh blood in my urine after strenuous exercise. Also, blood in my semen at ejaculation. Could this be caused by rupturing of capillaries forming from renewed prostate enlargement toward the urethra? My urine is clear otherwise. How likely is this condition a symptom of cancer?</p><p>There was blood in my semen just once. No sexual activity since then.</p><p>There was bood in my urine twice, both after unusually strenuous exercise.</p>
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 years ago.
How long ago was the surgery on the prostate?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my first sentence says 2 years ago
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry that it took me so long to get back to you. I just got out of the operating room. I did not see that you had your operation two years ago. Blood in the semen can be normal and this is usually due to inflammation of the prostate. It can take up to 2 to 3 months for the blood to resolve. However, blood in the urine is more concerning. This can be due to rupture of some small blood vessels in the prostate. However, more serious things such as bladder cancer and prostate cancer may need to be ruled out. Your urologist will need to perform a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis as well as cystoscopy to look for the source of bleeding. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you