Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My dad is 85 years old, has BPH, currently has a temporary…

Customer Question
My dad is 85 years...
My dad is 85 years old, has BPH, currently has a temporary foley (approx.1200 ml fluid released over the first few hours when the foley was inserted in the ER about 1 week ago). Hx: hardly peed 5-7 days before the ER visit.
We are in southern california los angeles area and my dad has blue shield 65 plus hmo insurance..
We went to a urologist a few days ago, who sugggested either turp or lasar. He was pushing the turp and told us that my dad could go home the same day or maybe one day in the hospital postop – I am positive he did not mean the lasar with this last comment.
Thus, I am looking for a urologist /surgeon that specializes with the green light (PVP) procedure, and is very good at it.
I am aware that people hve had problems, also, with greenlight. However, from my reading, I also know that if the doctor doing the green light correctly, there are few very if any problems. I have tried calling referral phone numbers at different hospitals, but they have not been able to be correlate a specific MD with this specific procedure.
Can you help ? Perhaps with some MD names in our area?
Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/28/2010
Urologist: Urologist,M.D., Urologist replied 8 years ago
Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist

How far are you willing to travel?

How far do you consider far travel? I am sure he's willing to travel elsewhere in California. Or are you talking out of state because california doesn't have any expert md's in the green light procedure?
OK give me your zip code and I will let you know
Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist

The zip code is 91505. The problem for us is not finding a urologist, but finding an expert urologist in the greenlight pvp lasar surgery. We live near a hospital in Burbank called Providence St Joseph Medical Center, but from my phone calls to this hospital, no one there has done enough of these procedures to be the expert we're looking for.

Please help us find several names in case someone is not on my dad's insurance plan. Thank you.

Ok, there are 17 urologists who do a good amount of these within 25 miles of you. I located them from the green Light web site. I will give you the address and just put in condition is bph and then your zip code. Let me know if you have trouble.

http://www.amsfindadoctor.com/Patient/Search.aspx?LOBID=4

Thank you for all your help. This gives us a great starting point! Your expertise is very much appreciated!
best of luck!