Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Doctor told me that i have protein in my urine on Thursday.

Customer Question
I have been on nutrisystem...
doctor told me that i have protein in my urine on Thursday. I have been on nutrisystem since Jan to loose weight. It did not work at first, but around March 1 I started loosing. I have now lost 26 pounds. Also I had protein in the urine in 1996 when I was on Nutrisystem. In 1991 when there was protein in the urine, I don't remember if I was on the diet. My doctor is referring me to a Kidney specialist. Is there any link between the diet and kidney problems? Should I stop the diet immediately?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/28/2010
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
As long as there is a normal amount of protein in the diet, this would not be associated with protein in the urine. However, excessively high amounts of protein in the diet may show up in the urine. You should probably be seen by a nephrologist to have a 24-hour urine collection done to see how much protein you are spilling into the urine. The protein in the urine can be caused by high blood pressure, diabetes, or inflammatory diseases of the kidney. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions I can answer.
This answer was helpful, please hit the green accept button so I can get credit for helping you. Thanks.