Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Six months ago I had stabbing pains in my lower abdomen, and…

Customer Question
Six months ago I had...
Six months ago I had stabbing pains in my lower abdomen, and GP diagnosed it as Prostatitis and prescribed Cipro for 2 weeks. Pains mostly stopped, but things have never felt back to normal "down there". When I have to pee, it is more of a dull pain now, and also bouncing around causes discomfort. Do I need further treatment, or is this just how it is for a 57 YR old male? :-)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/26/2010
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
This pain is liekly still a result of the prostatitis as it takes 4-6 weeks of antibiotic therapy to treat this correctly. If this does not clear up soon you should be examined by a urologist.Hope this helps and let me know if I can clarify anything.

If you are satisfied with this answer, kindly hit the green accept button so that I can get credit for helping you. If you need more info, please let me know. Thanks.
Oh wow, 4 to 6 weeks rather than 14 days? So that is likely why it didn't completely work? Should I go to my GP and ask for a referral to a urologist for this sort of treatment, or just have him prescribe a round of 4 weeks of 500mg 2/day Cipro (or something else?)?
Prostatitis is a very difficult infection to treat. If would be reasonable to have your GP give you another 4 weeks of cipro but I think 750mg per day would be sufficient. If your GP does not feel comfortable doing this, then you should get a referral to a urologist.
Thanks. I will accept this, but one more clarification: Would you recommend 750mg once per day or cut in half twice per day given the half-life?
Oh, sorry for the typo above. The dosing should be 750 mg twice per day.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Followup: your prescribed treatment did the trick! Everything back to normal "down there" now. Thanks!
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 7 years ago
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you are feeling better.