Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My child 2.5 and is having a very very hard time urinating.

Customer Question
She holds her legs together...
My child 2.5 and is having a very very hard time urinating. She holds her legs together and cries as if she is in extreme pain and has to try hard to pass urine. She has had a uti in the past. My wife took her to the ped today and they said everything looks fine. Her urine does not have a foul smell like it has in the past. The ped office took a urine sample but will not have the results until Monday prob. Do you have any insight or opinion to what it might be. We believe it is some sort of infection but she is only showint signs of extreme discomfort when passing urine, no fever or anything else.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/26/2010
Urologist: Urologist,M.D., Urologist replied 8 years ago
Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist
You should consider taking her to the pediatric urologist to be evaluated. They can check a quick bladder ultrasound to see if she is emptying her bladder okay. Also, if she has recurrent UTI's then she needs evaluation and to have her kidneys checked by a urologist. She should also have her urine sent out for culture to rule out infection. Hope this is helpful.

Beings it is now the weekend and we won't be able to seek care until the beginning of the week. What would you recommend to do for the next couple days to try and make our child as comfortable at home?

Suggested fluids?

Tylenol/Childrens Motrin?

Etc.?

No suggested fluids, just keep her hydrated. Also, tylenol or motrin should help. Other than that, antibiotics are the real treatment of choice for urinary tract infection.