Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been having the same problem for about a year now. When…

Hello, I've been having the same...
I've been having the same problem for about a year now. When I get an erection, my skin that expands seems to be very dry and feels painful sometimes, like a tear pulling. I don't have any visible signs other than the area seems to sometimes be more red than it used to be.
I'm a 33 yr old caucasian male in a relationship, I've been tested multiple times for STD during the past year, all negative every time, I've been to a dermatologist who gave me cortizone cream which didn't do anything and a urologist who gave me an anti-fungal which only dried the area more, both said I probably just need to use lubrication more often.
Is this just a chronic problem I need to deal with?
Thank you for your time. I appreciate your insight.
6/25/2010
Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
I am guessing you are not circumcised. If not, this can occur due to a narrowing of the foreskin around the head of the penis with erections. This is called phimosis and can respond to topical ointments and lubrication, but at times actually needs an excision of the tight foreskin (circumcision).

Hi Professor Rutman,

Actually I am circumcised. I apologize for leaving this out. Would it still be phimosis? I have read about that.

Thank you again.

no, if you are circumcised, this is not phimosis (unless you have redundant foreskin). not sure why this is happening, but I would see a urologist to be further examined. I would lubricate the area prior to sex (helps with foreplay, anyway). Does not sound like anything bad, but have it checked out further to try and improve your quality of life.
Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
Thank you very much, Dr. Rutman. I really appreciate it!
My pleasure!!!