Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My friend was told today that his cat scan and ivp showed…

Customer Question
my friend was told today...
my friend was told today that his cat scan and ivp showed two large cyst on each kidney! What could this mean? Cancer???? The doc sounded grimm but said anoher dr would be contacting him to do a biopsy! He has pain on each side in his low back and he is 66 years old and never sick/1
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/23/2010
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Cysts on the kidney are almost always benign and if it is truly a simple cyst, then there is no indication to biopsy this as it is not cancer. However, sometimes cysts can be complex appearing with some enhancement and or calcifications. In this case, a uroloist would have to review the images to determine if the complex cyst is suspicious for cancer and if it is, then it would have be removed surgically. Biopsies are not done even on complex cysts because the results obtained are almost always nondiagnosic. If the cysts are very large, they can cause pain in which case you may need to see a urologist to sterling if it is amenable to unroofing the cyst to decompress it. Hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else I can answer.