Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have relatives on my mother side who have had and or have…

Customer Question
i have relatives on my...
i have relatives on my mother side who have had and or have renal cancer. Do I need to be screened or tested?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/22/2010
Urologist: Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
If you have multiple family members, then yes, it would be reasonable to have an ultrasound of the kidneys to be screened. There are certain syndromes that run in families that put you at higher risk for kidney tumors.
I have two uncle's on my mother's side should i have genetic testing as well? and how often do i need to have ultrasounds? and what about my children?
Depends on if they had the same thing and if they had any genetic or family abnormality. You should start with an ultrasound of the kidneys. I think it would be reasonable to do it once now. If it is normal, I would not worry too much, but maybe every 3 to 5 years depending on the types of cancer your uncles had. If you never have any issues, I would not worry too much about your kids at this point. That would depend on your uncles exact history-types of cancer, age at diagnosis, other medical issues, etc.
one uncle was diagnosed with kidney cancer at the age of 38 and was treated. When he was 65 he was diagnosed with Lung Cancer and died two weeks later. six years ago his brother another uncle on my mother's side was diagnosed at the age of 67 with renal cancer and is fighting it today. I have been told that a few other relatives on my mother's side have had renal cancer that is why i am asking. I had an ultrasound a year ago in April and was diagnosed with a Hemangioma. I also had a CT scan during that to be sure thats what was wrong. That ct scan was of my entire abdomen would they have seen a problem then if there was one with my kidneys?
Ct scan is very good at looking for kidney tumors. If they gave you iv contrast, it is better than an ultrasound.