Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 59yrs. old. 3 nights ago (Thur) after eating, I had

Customer Question
burning sensation with urge to...
I'm 59yrs. old. 3 nights ago (Thur) after eating, I had burning sensation with urge to pee but only dribbled. Along with that, my RIGHT side of lower stomach had stabbing knife pains, which severely worsened into the wee hrs. of morn. This lasted for approx. 5 hrs. I made myself vomit and it helped, although next morn. the stomach pain was mildly present.
Last night, (Sat.) I had intercourse (felt odd when I ejaculated) and then an onset of "blue balls" sensation followed by the same culminating stabbing knife pains--this time in the LEFT side of my lower stomach. This lasted all night. Subsided this morn but continued mildly. It is noon Pacific time and the pain is gone.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/13/2010
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
This sounds like you may be retaining urine so that your bladder if full which is causing you to dribble urine and have these pains. This may be due to an enlarged prostate or a prostate infection called prostatitis. You need to be seen by you urologist to have an ultrasound of your bladder done to see how much urine is left in the bladder after you urinate. You need your urine cultured and you may need to be started on antibiotics. You cannot wait long to have these tests dome or it can cause permanent damage to yor bladder and kidneys and you cal become very I'll from this. Hope this helps and let me know if I can answer any other questions.

If my symptoms were isolated to just the burning sensation, I would have concluded it's probably related to my bladder or prostate. I am perplexed regarding the accompanying knife-like pains in the sides of my stomach. How could that be related to a prostate or bladder problem?

This would be due to urinary retention because you cannot empty your bladder causing it to distend up to your stomach region. This can cause the pain you have.