Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
Experience:  Authored over 25 Book Chapters and Articles, Specializes in male and female voiding issues
20030499

ESWL

Customer Question

ESWL
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. R replied 8 years ago.
Eswl stands for extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy- it consists of you lying on a table and a machine using shock waves to break up the stone. Works very well for stones and is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure. 2 cm is pretty large, are you sure that is the size?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The size has been checked by radiologist. @cm is the largest width of the stone most likely a calcium oxalate if we refer to past stones earlier in the life of the patient.

Now my questio9n more precisely relates to the way the shock wawes are directed to the stones. The urethra being very thin how the surgeon go through it to proceed with lithotripsy. Has he to incise the bladder and the urethra or can he go through the junction of the urethra with the bladder? What are the risks of permanent damage after such operation to the bladder or the Urethra. I suppose that where the stone is presently located the risk for the Kidneys are indirect not direct.

Expert:  Dr. R replied 8 years ago.
It is veer unusual to use eswl to treat a 2 cm stone. I would recommend a cystoscopy procedure with holmium laser to treat the stone. Much higher success rate with low risk. No, in response to your question eswl is done by laying on the table and placing a probe against your back or side which administers the shock waves. No incisions.