Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Why is urinary tract,respiratory tract and surgical the most…

Customer Question
why is urinary tract,respiratory tract...
why is urinary tract,respiratory tract and surgical the most nosocomial infections
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/13/2010
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
This is because when someone is in the hospital, they may have a catheter in their bladder which is a foreign body and a source of potential infection. For the respiratory tract, the patients in the rooms are breathing all the germs and bacteria that are floating all around the hospital. The same goes for the surgical wounds. Incisions may be exposed to doctors hands, nurses hands, curtains, etc than can harbor bacteria spread from patient to patient. Hope this helps and let me know if I can clarify anything.

If you are satisfied with this answer, kindly hit the green accept button so that I may be compensated for my time. If you need more info, please let me know.Thanks.

I wanted to know among others, specifically why these three are most common

This is because most patients have catheters in their bladders, all patients breathe the same air in the hospital and can contract the bacteria that is circulating from person to person, and surgical wounds are prone to contracting bacteria from all the persons who are caring for them. These three sites are the easiest portal of entry into the body and this is why they are the most common sites of infection.