Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 6 years old. He will be 7 in August. Last year in…

Customer Question
My son is 6 years...
My son is 6 years old. He will be 7 in August. Last year in September he developed a small blood clot near the tip on his penis. He has been fine and since that time the blood clot has become much larger. He was not circumsized. We have taken him to a doctor and they prescribed hydrocortisone cream. He is sensitive to the area and sometimes has a sick feeling which developed in the last couple of months. The sick feeling I am not sure if it is related. My question to you is there anything else we can do. I do not feel it is a normal conditon. Thank you for your help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/12/2010
Urologist: Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
I don't think it is related to his sick feeling, but the area can probably be removed by a minor procedure possibly using a laser. It sounds like a hemangioma which is a benign blood lesion and is easily treated with a laser. I would recommend seeing a pediatric urologist initially who may also have you see a dermatologist.
Is it normal for a 6 year old to develop this condition, hemangioma, and if so does it grow larger in the months since first treated in September. Also can the lesion go away by itself in time.
these can occur after birth. They can grow and at times regress, but if it is getting larger then it may need treatment.