Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had pain in my right kidney since Sunday. There is a…

Customer Question
I have had pain in...
I have had pain in my right kidney since Sunday. There is a stone in there that has been there for years, but some say that's not causing my excruciating pain and nausea. Is it true that a stone in the kidney doesn't hurt? What else could be causing my pain? The area over my kidney is a little swollen, and the pain is also in my side and occasionally shoots down towards my groin area. They told me in the ER that the stone is "shifting" (??) I really need some relief from the pain!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Urology
6/10/2010
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
A stone in the kidney would only cause pain it caused blockage in your ureter. It is true that the pain can come and go if the stone shifts position to cause intermittent blockage. You need to be seen by a urologist for an evaluation to see if you can remove the stone for you to get rid of this potential cause of pain. Hope this helps and let me know if there any other questions I can answer for you.