How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20386
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been diagnosed with a lazy to dead bladder. It made

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with a 'lazy to dead bladder.' It made me very ill a year ago, but no damage to my kidneys after 2 MRI exams. I have been self catheterizing for a year now with NO problems ( 2 x per day ) & I am very healthy. I urinate only about 50 to 100 cc when not cathing, and get about 250 to 350 or less WHEN cathing.. last Friday, the cath would NOT go into the bladder ....PERIOD, even after many trys. This remains true for the past six days. Strangely, the next morning I discoverd that IF my wife and I had sex, THEN THE CATH WENT INTO THE BLADDER EXTREMELY EASY... I am seeing my urologist next wed, but in the meantime, ONLY SEX with allow the cath to go into the bladder successfully. Urine is flowing good, and no blood and no pain... my reg MD did prescribe 'ciproproxicn' for prostititis, but in the meantime I am finding this extremely strange, SINCE THIS SITUATION AROSE virtually overnight. Sincerely, Mike Fla
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 years ago.



People who self cath can develop what is known as a false passage from the catheter going the wrong place int he urethra on occasion. The catheter can get "hung up" in this sort of divot in the urethra. You may also have a stricture (scar tissue) preventing passage of the catheter.You will need to see your urologist to see if they can get the catheter in and if they can't, they will need to look in the urethra with a cystoscope and possibly dilate the urethra. Hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else I can answer.