Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

Had a CT scan of abdomen w/o contrast for kidney stone pain.

good day! had a CT...
good day! had a CT scan of abdomen w/o contrast for kidney stone pain. i would appreciate if you would explain to me exactly what the findings mean.
FINDINGS: there is a 4mm calculus at the left UVJ. this causes moderate left hydroureter and hydronephrosis. mild left perinephric stranding is present. there are at least 3 small, 1-3 mm nonobstructing calyceal calculi in left kidney. there is a nonobstructing 2mm calyceal calculus in lower pole right kidney. IMPRESSION:(1)obstructing 4mm calculus in left UVJ. (2)nonobstructing calyceal calculi bilaterally.
also what is uvj? also please explain obstructing vs. nonobstructing. please explain all of it so a non-medical person would easly understand.
THANK YOU MUCH!
ajl
3/19/2010
Dr M W Hanif
Dr M W Hanif, Internal Medicine
Hi

Welcome to just answer...

UVJ means uretro-vesical junction... Let me help you out with this term... The kidneys have attached tubes known as ureters that leads to the bladder which is reffered as vesical... So UVJ is a junction point where the tubes(ureter) enters the bladder(vesical)...

The tubes leaving the kidneys and draining into the bladder have three common points at which it is constricted, (1) where the tubes leave the kidney (2) where it crosses the pelvic brim (3) where it enters the bladder... So if a person has a kidney stone that is disloges it is likely to get obstructed at these three constriction sites...

I hope this makes you understand why you have a stone at the UVJ junction...

Now Hydroureter means, swelling of the tube(ureter) due to the fluid that is unable to drain in the bladder because there is a stone at the UVJ... And hydronephrosis means swelling of the kidney due to the extra fluid that is unable to drain as the result of the back pressure in the hydroureter which in turn is due to UVJ stone... I hope this is understandable...

Obstructing calculi means a stone that has completely blocked the passage of urine in the bladder causing an increased back pressure leading to hydroureter and hydronephrosis...

A nonobstructing calculi means a small stone that has not blocked the tubes to the extent to cause hydroureter or hydronephrosis...

I hope this answers your question...

Do let me know if you have any further follow up questions...

Thank you...
dr. hanif: i appreciate your response and i will accept it, but i would also like to know RE: the size of the stones that are NONOBSTRUCTING, in kidneys-would these be untreated medically and what if anything might occur with these? again thank you!

dr hanif; i guess you may be offline now, but i will wait for you to answer my reply at which time i will accept your answers . thank you much . i do appreciate it. i will also leave you very good feedback.

ajl

Hi again...
Treatment for kidney stones varies depending on the type of kidney stones, it size and the cause...
Most of kidney stones that are small in size wont require invasive treatment... You may be able to pass a small stone by:
(1) Drinking as much as 2-3 litres a day may help flush out your urinary symptoms (2) Passing a small stone can cause some discomfort and pain... To relieve mild pain, your doctor may recommend pain relievers such as Tab Motrin and Tab Tylenol.... Similarly home remedies to get rid of such small stones include, the use of Citric acid by adding lemon juice to distilled water... Caranberries are another great fruit for dissolving kidney stones... Citrates found in orange and carrot can help reduce uric acid and calcium salts... Finally simple soda contains phosphoric acid which acts by eroding the solid matter that is in the kidney stones...
Further more there are few things in diet that promote stone formation, so these should be removed from the diet... These dietary products include, spinach, beets, peanuts, chocolate, sweet potatoes, green pepper, grapes, red raspberries, and strawberries...
Finally to answer the second part of your question, these small stones are prone to get infected for which purpose anitbiotics will be required according to the culture and sensitivity report... I hope this answers your concerns... Thank you
Dr M W Hanif
Dr M W Hanif, Internal Medicine
Dr M W Hanif
Dr M W Hanif
Dr M W Hanif, Internal Medicine