How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. R Your Own Question
Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 3570
Experience:  Authored over 25 Book Chapters and Articles, Specializes in male and female voiding issues
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. R is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My perineum raphe is inflamed and swollen. At night the irch

Resolved Question:

My perineum raphe is inflamed and swollen. At night the irch is unbearable at times. I've had my family doctor give me an RX cream but it is not working? What is causing this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. R replied 7 years ago.
Could be a fungal infection or a skin inflammation or infection. You may need an antibiotic or an antifungal cream. Without seeing the rash, it is hard to tell. You should see a urologist or dermatologist asap to get diagnosed and prescribed medication.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As indicated in my original question, I listed the 2 RX's prescribed that are seemingly ineffective. How is your advice different from those meds?
Expert:  Dr. R replied 7 years ago.
neither is an antifungal or antibiotic. You would need something like diflucan or nystatin cream or keflex orally to help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ciclopirox is an antifungal according to my RX insert that I am reading now. Why do you say otherwise?
Expert:  Dr. R replied 7 years ago.
You are correct-it is not an antifungal that is prescribed very often in the US. It is a synthetic antifungal. I would try the diflucan or nystatin and see what happens. If there is no change, you may need an antibiotic for skin infections (such as augmentin or keflex). I would see a dermatologist or urologist to take a look at the lesion and see exactly what it is.
Dr. R and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you