Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
Experience:  Authored over 25 Book Chapters and Articles, Specializes in male and female voiding issues
20030499

I had 4-10 RBC in urine tests and so my Doc ordered a

I had 4-10 RBC in urine tests and so my Doc ordered a CT--Sonogram and a Cystostomy. I completed the CT--Sonogram a week ago but I still have not been advised of the results of that test and so I plan to cancel my appointment for a Cystostomy until I am informed of the CT--Sonogram results. Quite frankly, I am concerned that a cystostomy will not only be uncomfortable and embarrassing, but that any little thing found will drive more invasive procedures which might not really be necessary. Your thoughts?
if there is microscopic blood in the urine, 3 things are mandatory to rule out any cancer. first, a urine cell test called a cytology, second, a ct scan of the kidneys and abdomen, third, a cystoscopy. the reason you need a cystoscopy is to rule out a small superficial bladder cancer as well as something called CIS which is a cancer that is flat but aggressive and is not seen on ct scan or ultrasound. your doctor is correct and following proper guidelines. if you want your results first, just let him know. good luck.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does the Cystoscopy also include aa test to determine the PSA reading?
No. Your urologist has to do a blood test for psa. He can do this prior to the cystoscopy.