UK Traffic Law

Have UK traffic law questions? Ask a traffic lawyer online.

I had a near miss incident yesterday without any contact. Do…

Customer Question
I had a near...

I had a near miss incident yesterday without any contact. Do I need to inform police?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

It was in UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

??

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Traffic Law
I was driving yesterday. Stopped at a junction and crossing main road when I had a near miss from oncoming vehicle on a dual carriage way. There was no contact. Other driver did give horn. I stopped at central refuge, did not see anyone coming out from other vehicle so I drove away - As there was no contact so I thought no damage can happen possible. Do I need to inform police? It will be more than 24 hours. What are the penalties?
11/22/2017
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 7 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi please explain why you mean by penalties as you didn't collide with this vehicle?

As I haven't informed police within 24 hours and didn't stopped to check other driver so wondering it has any implications, penalties or I broke any law. As I didn't stop to check other driver so I do not know about injuries to them. I didn't thought about injuries at the time and drove away as there was no contact between cars. This happened in England, United Kingdom.
Also, do I need to inform car insurance company?

If you didnt' have collision and you are certain of that then there is no need to do anything at all.

The obligation to inform police and your insurers does not arise.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Thank you Jo for your response. I definitely did not had collision. Only reason I was thinking to report to Police is that I did not stop to check them while these two cars were stopped when I last saw them. Also, nobody came out of the cars so I thought they are fine and drove off. Since, I didn't check so I do not know if they had any damage or injury between them.Is there any implication to inform Police just in case they call Police?
This happened 1.5 day back. Is it absolute must to inform within 24 hours?
FYI - These two cars were separated by 1 meter. I didn't saw them collided.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.