UK Traffic Law

Have UK traffic law questions? Ask a traffic lawyer online.

I received a private parking notice from civil enforcement…

Hi i received a...

Hi i received a private parking notice from civil enforcement stating that i had parked unathorised (without permit) at a private parking space. I would like to know if I can appeal. The parking used to be a council parking for the community centre and swimming. I used to park there as I worked for the council a year ago. I didnt realise the signage had changed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?

Its in the UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Its the local authority but is now manned by a private car parking company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was at the car park for an hour and 14 mins

10/22/2017
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Is there any reference to the council in the fine?

There is no reference to the council
I am alright to chat than call
This is the first notice i have received. At this stage I would not be going to court
I would like to know the grounds to appeal the notice.

Ok. When was it issued please?

On 29.09.17. I received it on 9th october as I was on holiday for a week.
The notice is demanding - £60 penalty to be paid within 14 days and £100 thereafter. I have been waiting for the pictures of the signage of the site as I dont live in the area and had gone to visit. Unfortunately the friend has delayed send the pictures which are extremely clear but I didnt notice them on the day.

Ok. Are you unwilling to risk being sued?

From what I gather they cannot sue me as they are not the landowner.
Thats why I am seeking legal advice - to establish if the notice will be appealable and if so on what grounds.

Oh there is no point in appealing.

These private land fine appeals are a quango and have no real authority.

If you are going to find this then just ignore them.

The question is whether you can risk being sued

I think there is a new law since 2012 under the new law the registered keeper is liable for the offense and hence they have to appeal and if the appeal is rejected a popla code has to be provided. The motorists then appeals through Popla.
I just wondered on what grounds I could appeal in your opinion.
Is the fine proportionate, what loss/losses the company incurred if I parked there for 1hr and 14mins.
They can not sue me without
taking me to court. Usually the fine is less than the cost of taking the case to court.

Well, as I said really. There is no point in appealing for the reasons above.

The case of Beavis has considered the sum of fines and they have been deemed to be lawfully. The sum of loss point is lost as a result of that case.

if they sue they will seek the sum of the fine plus costs of roughly £35 and fixed solicitors costs of £55.

Thanks very much : so that means pay up or ignore if you would risk being sued. I am sure there has been other cases that have been won after the beavis case.

That is basically the choice you face.

The probability may be very low but you need to be aware of the risk.

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister