UK Traffic Law

Have UK traffic law questions? Ask a traffic lawyer online.

I've been told by my company that I've been caught

Hi, I've been told...

Hi, I've been told by my company that I've been caught committing a motoring offence with details to follow. I remember it happening, it was a radar gun with a single police officer using it. I might have been changing the song on my mp3 player as he shot me, do the radar guns have photographic capability? If not, is one police officers testimony sufficient to prosecute. Or is it more likely I'll get a speeding summons only?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Somerset, UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Unknown yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Clean licence up to now

10/16/2017
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Do you have any previous points?

None at all

Ok - if you were changing a song on your MP3 that actually makes it worse, as its carless or dangerous driving.

If a Police officer has caught you and it went to Court, then it is likely that you will be prosecuted and convicted.

Hopefully its just the speeding and you may be offered a speed awareness course.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Right, I understand that - I was moreso enquiring into the capability of the radar guns - are they exclusively designed to trap speed or anything else - ie the dangerous driving? do they have photographic capabilities?

Some do, as they catch you on video.

Others do not and it would be the oral testimony of the Police Traffic Officer.

They will be trained to use the equipment which will be Home Office approved.

Does that clarify?

Is there anyway of knowing which technology a specific constabulary employs? In this case Avon and Somerset

You would have to write and ask.

But it will be Home Office approved, so you would be hard done saying it was faulty.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor