UK Traffic Law

Have UK traffic law questions? Ask a traffic lawyer online.

I've received a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) from Camden

I've received a Penalty Charge...
I've received a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) from Camden Council in London for "Entering and stopping in a box junction when prohibited - camera enforcement". Charge is £130 or £65 if paid within 14 days. Do they have a legal authority to impose such a driving violation charge, or could I just ignore the letter?
10/9/2017
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Is there any reason you think they might not have authority?

None what-so-ever. Although I once had a Parking Charge Notice from APCOA Parking for dropping someone off at Luton airport. Your advice then was to ignore it, I did, and they eventually stopped posting me letters. I just want to double check that the Camden Council (unlike APCOA) has legal authority behind it.

APCOA are a private land firm.

Camden Borough Council are a local authority and very definitely do have authority to issue fines.

If you ignore it but I'm afraid they will just seek an order from the adjudicator and enforce this matter.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Nope. You've answered the question. Thanks!

no problem. All the best. Please remember to rate my answer

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister