UK Traffic Law

Have UK Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

UK Traffic Law

I did a driver awareness course earlier this year in

Hello, I did a...

Hello, I did a driver awareness course earlier this year in somerset, unfortunately I have just received a Ticket notice from Dorset police can I do another course in a different county. I suspect not but would just like verification. Thanks Andrew

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry Britain not America, Dorset

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No I have the option of paying a fixed penalty and three points on my licence or potentially doing a driver awareness course for a price and no points, but I did one in a different county earlier this year and wondered if I could do a second as a different county. The letter says you are not eligible if you have attended one in the last three years but someone told me you could if with another county. Grasping at straws really?

10/7/2017
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have they offered you one?

The letter has a box to tick declaring I was the driver at time of offence, the next one says if eligible I wish to be considered for a driver awareness course at cost of £110 the next I wish to be considered [a] for fixed penalty procedure or [b] court hearing. I was the diver at the time and don't think a court hearing will be beneficial. Can I still tick the eligibility box and not incur a harsher outcome than three points?

Ordinarily you wouldn’t be entitled to the course. You can only have it once every three years. You can tick it and see if they pick up on it.

But if they do a search they will see you have had the course. It’s not once per Force area, otherwise people could speed all over the country!

But try it, see if they know. It can’t do any harm.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor