How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident in the UK and have a full UK driving

Customer Question

Hi. I am a resident in the UK and have a full UK driving licence. However I received a driving ban in Ireland in November 2015 (I'm Irish by birth). I read this morning the disqualifications from one country are now recognised in the other. But does this apply to bans already in place, or is is just bans from this day forth? Also I am entitled to appeal the last year from my ban this November which I intend to do. Will this help in any way. I have not received any notification from the DVLA but am worried now that I will.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Republic of Ireland
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Not at this time, but will appear at my local court in Ireland in November to appeal the last year off my ban.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 months ago.

It came in to force on 28 January 2010 so the question actually isn’t relevant .

You cannot appeal the ban but you can apply to get your licence back of the ban is longer than 3 years.

If it is four years or less then you can make an application after a period of two years.

If the ban is between 4 years and 10 years, after half the period.

If the ban was longer than 10 years you can apply after five years.

Please don't forget to use the rating system so that I get credit for my time. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

The thread does remain open if you need to follow up any points.

If you have any other questions in the future and you would like me to deal with them personally, please request me and also put my name at the top of the thread, “For Stuart J only” .

I will then deal with it personally for you.

Kind regards.