UK Traffic Law

Have UK traffic law questions? Ask a traffic lawyer online.

My younger brother who has high functioning autism

Hey there, my younger brother...
Hey there, my younger brother who has high functioning autism (Aspergers syndrome) has been very mentally unwell, hearing voices, acting paranoid and his childhood was mixed with physical and sexual abuse from his father who killed himself when he was found out. My brother who is 23 but struggles with autism has repeatedly attempted suicide and even though he has been hearing voices and his mental health deteriating the mental health refused to help him saying it's his autism. My brother has deputyship of his finances and about a week ago he went to see some friends hand already planned to kill himself and then as he drove of towards dual carriage way were he planned to go as fast as he could to crash and die he instead didn't make it to dual carriage way but crashed into a wall and police found he was twice over the limit. His Grandad who acted as his appropriate adult asked him in the interview if it was a suicide attempt and he said no but when leaving the station he confided that it was but he was too scared to say in case the locked him in a psychiatric hospital. He has now started Prozac and is on anti depressant and anti psychotic medication. His mental health has been completely ignored and I am afraid next time I will loose my brother forever. I do not feel it is right that he has been left nor do I feel it is right to drink drive. He has to go to magistrates court in a few days, he has an autism worker going with him as an appropriate adult but I feel let down by the mental health team that have left my brother to become so unwell after the abuse he endured just to put it down to autism. This is now his fourth suicide attempt. Will these circumstances be taken into account and what consequences could there be (he has had two cautions in the past due to misunderstandings) is there anything that I can do that would be of any help or advice my brother, he is very unwell mentally and struggles in social situations due to autism.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His breath test alcohol was 64 and the wall he crashed into was somebodys house, there was some structural damage although fortunately no one was injured.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please just phone ASAP thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have just updated my phone number on my account, please phone, you are taking some time but still thank you very much I appreciate any help I can get, thank you.
Answered in 1 day by:
8/1/2017
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

So, in short, he was caught drink driving?

What was his reading please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
64 microgrames

In breath ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
breath

Okay. Does he have any previous?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No previous drink driving or penalty points on his licence, this was a suicide attempt however he does have one or two cautions, not serious but due to misunderstanding with his autism and he got help in understanding those social situations

Are you asking what sentence he faces?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry just don't have the cash, please could you just give some advice on how to best deal with this. His autism and mental health, the fact it was a suicide attempt after telling several psychiatrists and doctors he was planning on killing himself but was ignored are these mitigating circumstances, I very much know he should not of drunk drive but his plan was to end his life. Any advice?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has deputyship, an appropriate adult and a mental health solicitor to take and represent him

Well, on the face of it, he should be pleading guilty.

His mental health is a non issue as far as this matter goes. It doesn't mitigate or aggravate really.

Whatever his intentions, the fact remains he was drink driving and public safety is paramount as far as the RTA goes.

it is not the highest reading in fairness.

It is not particularly low but it is not the worst.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you, ***** ***** this was a terrible thing and I would hope that his drivers licence is taken away as I don't think he should be driving as it is just by luck no one was injured, hopefully his licence will be taken away but how long for? I was told he is not looking at a prison sentence is this possibly correct? What are the possible outcomes please?

No, he isn't facing custody.

He is facing a community order but then I am not sure probation would say he is suitable in the light of his difficulties.

A curfew is possible.

A ban is inevitable I'm afraid.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help this has given me a much clearer understanding and I was very concerned he would still be allowed to drive as much as I love him he needs to understand the seriousness of what happened. Please could you clarify how long the ban may be and will he have to take another test after?

17-22 months but there won't an extended test

he can reduce the ban period by doing the drink driving course.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help, you've given me the info I needed so thanks!

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister