Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Elderly member of staff poodling along a 30 limit country

Customer Question

Elderly member of staff poodling along a 30 limit country lane adamant he was maintaining speed limit...He was being hounded by following traffic.. Received a ticket alleging 35 by mobile camera...What could be his defence please?
JA: Was a citation issued? Has a court date been set?
Customer: No date set . Just answering the allegation .Guilty or not guilty
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Cheshire UK
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks That's about it
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Hi - he has received a NIP for speeding and asking if there's a possible defence?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nip--received alleging 35mph in thirty limit--said he would like court appearance..he has now received "SIngle Justice Procedural Notice " It invites plea...Guilty (No Court)---Guilty (Court)--Not Guilty (Court) he adamant stuck to speed limit....Speedo checked against digital car and found OK.. Is there a defence please
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

If he says he wasn't driving at speed then he has a defence. Whether it will succeed of course is another matter.

Nobody can force him to plead guilty. if he is denying that he drove at speed then he is entitled to a trial.

If you are asking whether or not his account of the evidence of the speedo will be preferred over the evidence of the GATSO though then probably it will not. A GATSO is a device approved by the Department of Transport. I'm afraid his speedo is not.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo