UK Traffic Law

Have UK traffic law questions? Ask a traffic lawyer online.

I'm from Cyprus, and just received a Contractual Parking…

Customer Question
I'm from Cyprus, and just...
I'm from Cyprus, and just received a Contractual Parking Charge Notice. I was renting a car at the time and this notice was sent to Europcar. They have notified G24, to whom the charge notice is from, that I was the primary driver at the time.
As we have free parking in Cyprus and I was completely unaware there was any time limit in parking at this Retail Park, where we spent some time looking round it all, do I have to pay this £85.00 + a further £35.00 to Europcar for sending me this notice? It states on the Charge notice that parking was free for 180mins and they say we left after 280mins. We actually moved the car from one end of the very large retail park to another between times to avoid having to walk with a large amount of shopping.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Traffic Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hello were there signs advising you of the parking restrictions?

Not that I was aware of

Have Europcar paid it or referred the fine to you?

They have referred the fine to me and also added their admin charge for doing this.

What are their admin charges?

EuRopcar are charging me £36.00 and G24 Ltd wish £85.00

Ok.

Do Europcar have your debit card details?

The problem with this is that they will almost certainly just deduct the funds from your card. The contract that you have with them will allow them to do something like that.

Private land fines are generally very difficult to enforce and not cost effective especially not if a debtor is abroad.

£35 is entirely unreasonable for the admin here.

You could sue them to recover but that is hard to do from abroad as well.

Can I clarify anything for you?

jo

Please...your advice is to do what regarding the PCN? Is it indeed legal to charge this? Is it forceable under the law?

Yes, it is legal. Private land fines have always been lawful. They were just hard to enforce.

the problem here is that isn't the issue. The issue is that Europcar have taken over the claim for the reasons above.

Europcar have only invoiced me for the admin letter sent to me and to respond to the PCN. They state clearly that the notice is now in my name and any disputes regarding the notice itself must be referred directly to the issuing body, G24.

If they are not going to deduct it then the chances that the private land company will sue are very low especially if you are permanently in Cyprus.

I have just spoken to Europcar who say their admin charge is part of the agreement I signed with them so I assume thats set in stone. They also informed me that they do not have an agreement with G24 Ltd to pay any fine on behalf of a rentee. They also stated I have to wait for a letter from G24 Ltd to come to me in Cyprus. Do I have to respond to G24 Ltd or not if I get any correspondence from them?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.