UK Traffic Law

Have UK Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

UK Traffic Law

I pleaded guilty to driving 88mph in a 60mph zone (via post)

Customer Question
and received a court summons...
I pleaded guilty to driving 88mph in a 60mph zone (via post) and received a court summons that mentioned a potential driving ban. I only have a foreign driving license (Polish). Can the court ban me from driving in the UK? How long is the ban likely to last?
Thank you,
Igor
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Traffic Law
11/27/2015
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hello do you use your car for work?

no, I don't unfortunately

OK. How long have you been here please?

I have lived in the UK since February 2015. Before that I lived elsewhere (New York) for a year. Before that I lived in the UK between 2008-2013

OK. Do they know accept that you only entered in Febuary?

The court does not know it yet, but there is no reason not to accept it when I tell them at the hearing. I was resident in the United States for 12 months until February 2015 and paid taxes there, and I did not have a job / interests / a place of abode in the UK so it's not questionable. Why is it relevant?

Because you can only drive on a European licence for so long and but for the break in Febuary you would be in breach.

OK. How long can I drive on my Polish license? I thought since it is a EU license I am in the clear. My car is registered in the UK (first registration February 2015).

If you entered in February you are fine. Even if they don't accept it, if you can prove it then you are home and dry.

In terms of sentence, 88 mph in a 60 mph zone does carry a ban but it isn't likely. It would almost certainly just lead to 6 points. If they do ban then it will probably be about 14 days. It is not a long period of time but the fact of the ban does have a horrendous effect upon insurance.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Thanks, ***** ***** can do / say / present to help my chances of getting points and avoiding the ban? I am not concerned about 14 days but higher insurance premium would be painful.

You would have to disclose points too which would lead to an increase premium although not so bad.

What were the circumstances of this incident?

It was a speed camera on a dual carriageway with 60mph limit because of a crossing ahead (so not an urban area).

That is not the worst speeding then.

Generally speaking with speeding it is a case of expressing remorse and emphassing your hitherto good driving record.

You can also refer to the absence of any heavy traffic, the clarity of the conditions, the clemency of the weather and the shortness of any distance driven at speed.

Thanks. Could you let me know when I need to replace my Polish license for a UK one?

For three years from the date of becoming a resident in the Uk which is usually defined as having lived here for 185 days.

thanks. Can the penalty be more severe if I have exceeded speed twice in the same place? I am not sure if that is the case, but the documents mention two dates (and I have been in that place on both dates). However, both of the mentions are for the same 88mph which I think is extremely unlikely. I have also been provided with photo evidence for only one of them.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister