Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a clean license and got caught by a speed van doing

Customer Question

Hi I have a clean license and got caught by a speed van doing 76 in a 50. I received the NIP and posted it 5 months ago and still not heard anything. I'm guessing it's because they can't give me a fixed penalty and it has to go to court. My only issue is I haven't had my license for 2 years. I passed my test 15 Jan 2014. I've never had to attend a speed course either. Only once in error I went through a red light at 13 mph and had to attend a drive4safe course (nothing todo with speeding)
Anyway apart form that nothing. I'm worried I will lose my license as I am required to have a license for my job and no license means no job and my partner can't afford to cover the mortgage on his own until I find new job. I am the main income earner. I'm so upset unsure what to do. I was only speeding a matter of 5 seconds because I was overtaking cars in front of me doing 40mph. I went into the outside lane to over take and back In the inside lane so I was In front of them. But whilst doing this
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Should there be more to your post?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi would seem it cut last bit off
Was meant to continue as follows....
Whilst doing this monevieur I spotted the police camera van above the bridge. I never look out for them as I always stick to the limit hence why I missed it. It was just a lapse as I guess I was tired from work as train was delayed i was getting home over an hour later than normal. Didn't intentionally mean to speed. Please advise
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking if you have a defence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I wanted to know if it is normal to not hear anything after 5 months and also if I do what may happen?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It isn't all that unusual.

They quite often do summons at literally the eleventh hour which would be the sixth month point.

76 in a 50 mph zone is a high speed. It falls into the highest bracket of six points or a short ban of between seven to fifty six days.

The reality is that it would be points not a ban. There will be a fine of roughly one hundred percent of your weekly income, costs of £85, the court charge of £180 and the surcharge of roughly 10% of the fine.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just seems a bit harsh when I've not done anything wrong before with speeding ever. The fact that I will lose my job because if I get 6 points that means I lose my license because you get your lisense evoked if you get 6 points with in the first two years of having your license. They won't take into consideration that I will lose my job and my home because of this? Guess I better start job hunting
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid not.

There is no exceptional hardship test.

You do only just fall into the highest bracket at this speed so you might be able to persuade them to impose 5 points.

But the fact remains that this is 50% over the limit.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else you wanted to know?