Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
30932268

Went out meal last night and parked behind the building in

Customer Question

went out for a meal last night and parked behind the building in the car park. finished meal and car park had been locked. only then did we realise it didnt belong to the restaurant. it is still locked this morning with no phone numbers. can we cut the lock off and replace it?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this morning we can see a small sign saying privete but this would have been in the shadows last night.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Cutting the lock and replacing it is a criminal offence - the owner could prosecute you for criminal damage. You need to find the land owner, perhaps through the police, to get the gate opened and for your car to be released; you probably should not have parked where you did but nobody has the right to impound your vehicle.