Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Ive received a police nip speeding offence, however

Customer Question

Ive received a police nip for a speeding offence, however no actual speed is written on the letter other than 'in excess of 50mph' in a 50mph zone.
am I likely to hear anything else after returning to say I was the rider. Thanks
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Were you speeding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I overtook a bus doing 40mph in a 50 and then saw the policeman with a handheld device. I dont believe I was but it could have been slightly over

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
The fact that there isn't a speed recorded on the NIP doesn't mean they cannot prosecute it I'm afraid. They have to put very little upon NIPs beyond the time and date and allegation.
If there was a laser gun though then there must be a speed or the findings of the gun is not reliable.
Probably they will send you a fixed penalty offer. If you refuse it then you are obviously taking a risk as they might have enough to prosecute but if they do not then you should hear no more about it.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Surely if there was a speed recorded it should be within the letter for my viewing also? Otherwise ill be admitting to a crime I believe I didnt commit.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No, I'm afraid they do not have to do that.
If you believe weren't speeding then refuse the fixed penalty and invite them to summons you.