Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been caught doing 105mph by a speed camera on the M25

Customer Question

I have been caught doing 105mph by a speed camera on the M25 I received the documents from the Kent court I was going to plead guilty by post. I am unsure if I should get a solicitor. I have a letter from work to advise I need to drive for my job I am a single parent and have no point on my license and have drive for nearly 10 years. There is no valid excuse for doing this speed apart only at the time I was trying to get home for my son who had broken his arm. What do you suggest I do?
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.\
Are you asking if this is a defence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes would this be sufficient or should I seek legal advise
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No to both really.
This isn't a defence I'm afraid. It is not even really particularly good mitigation.
You can take legal advice but it will be an expensive business and it is not going to lead to a different answer to the one above.
Unfortunately there is no defence to speeding in saying that you had an urgent need to be elsewhere.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank youDo I have any chance of not getting a ban but instead points?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
If this is 105 mph in a 70 mph zone then I would only expect points rather than an immediate ban. They do not generally ban on a first offence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is thank you for you help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/