How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a motorcycle that my cousin bought for me that is registered

This answer was rated:

I have a motorcycle that my cousin bought for me that is registered with English plates. I have a US US driver's license. How can I insure it to ride in the EU? It's turned out to be far more complex than I imagined. Thanks

The bike must be regsitered to you.

Which insurance companies have you tried?


This is not a legal thing. It is the insurance company which decide whether they want to take on the risk or not. This applies to cars (Direct Line dont do bikes) and explains the situation

it is simply a case of finding an insurer that will take on the risk for you.

I would suggest trying these (I found them very difficult to deal with) (I was with them for years but they became expensive) (I was with this company for years and they became expensive) (I have nine motorbikes with this firm and find them exceptional but they will not do modified bikes)

and final, if all else fails,PPC,adrian+flux&gclid=CNCOodCx7bgCFXMbtAodB24Aow

who I have never yet known turn down a risk and whose administration is absolutely superb in my experience. I have one highly modified bike with them.

Does that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to keep you waiting, my laptop crashed and I was unable to reply via phone.

I will be sure to close the ticket properly and give you the highest rating.


I just had a few follow ups. I only spoken with a couple of insurance companies, and they gave me the impression it couldn't be done, and that it was a legal thing, so that is invaluable to know.


1) I'm told the registration stays with the vehicle, (completely the opposite of how it's done here so I've no experience) so for insurance, I only need have the log book signed over to me, and then it is registered properly? Right now it is assigned to my cousin as he bought it for me.


2) Does getting an international license help/is it worthwhile?


3) What will I need for border crossings?


Thanks again--hopefully one of these companies will take me.





The reg stays with vehicle so you will need it in yr name at an address.
For Euro border crossings you will probably need a visa and international driving licence. Yes it helps although they dont usually look at licence it helps if stopped.
I can assure you it insta legal thing, it is the insurance co own rules
Stuart J and other UK Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you