Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

A neighbour of mine had his car towed away by Richmond council

A neighbour of mine had his car towed away by Richmond council because 'it looked like it had been abandoned'.
He uses the car for work all the time but was away on holiday for a week. The total number of days that the car was not used was 8.
The car was taxed and parked legally in an unrestricted area.
Apparently there was a sticker placed on the car for 24hours and then it was towed away. The charge to have the car released was £200 plus £40 per day storage and is now almost £500.
I'm assuming this is entirely illegal and they should be entitled to a refund from a heavy handed Richmond.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is your question how to appeal this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I really wanted to know your opinion on whether you think this is justified and yes please how to appeal this.

Obviously I haven't heard their justification for this. Probably they received some form of report about this vehicle. There is an anonymous reporting system which does encourage allegations that aren't very credible unfortunately.

However, on the facts you present this would not amount to an abandoned vehicle. They do consider other things than whether or not the car is taxed. The general condition of the car is a factor. Some cars can be seen to be abandoned in an instant.

On terms of how to appeal, you have to recover the car from the pound and pay the release fee and them follow the appeals procedure. Its the same procedure as with any other fine - first to the council informally, then to the council formally and then to the adjudicator. Generally speaking councils will dog their heels in with towed vehicles but you get good results at the adjudicator

There is a further appeal from the adjudicator but that is expensive and you are not likely to need it on these facts

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo