How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 70197
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a uk national who has recently (April 2013) moved to live

This answer was rated:

I am a uk national who has recently (April 2013) moved to live in France temporarily until August when I will move to the US permanently.
I still own my uk registered motor car and i would like to hang on to it until august. It is due for insurance renewal on 7th July I am fully apprised of the insurers rules on limiting Comprehensive cover to a max 60 days per trip
my question is twofold. Can I continue to own a UK registered and taxed vehicle even though my permanent address is no longer in the UK.
If yes to the above can I renew the insurance with my present insurer or some other even though I no longer reside permanently in the UK
I realise these questions should be directed at the DVLA and my insurer but Iwould like to know the legal position before approaching them
Many thanks

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Just to be clear, you will keep this vehicle abroad?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will be taking the car with me to France on June 24th returning to the UK on August 7th for a short break after which I will sell the car prior to relocating to the USA. I will keep my house in France for vacations an
D my house in ENGLAND is being let on a two year lease
So essentially your question is how to export the car lawfully?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, sorry my explanation was confusing. When I return to the UK it will be with my car and I shall sell. It in the UK prior to going to the US
I see your question.

You are free to own the car and driver it in the uk.

The car is not the issue per se. The issue is upon what licence do you drive. To have a uk licence you should be a permanent resident. However, you can drive here on your French or international licence lawfully for the periods of time you describe.

As long as it is MOTed etc within the rules of the UK then that is lawful.

Can I help further?
Jo C. and other UK Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you