How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

which insurance companies offer insurance for a third party

Customer Question

which insurance companies offer insurance for a third party to collect car from police compound. My partner used a false name to obtain car and insurance. Car was seized and impounded. he has given permission for me to collect car but I cant get insurance cover as vehicle is in compound.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Why can't you get insurance? What is the specific reason?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My partner used false information to buy and insure car as he has no id. he was stopped by police and vehicle was seized. the insurance is now invalid and although he has nominated me to collect vehicle on his behalf I cannot get insurance cover as car is in police compound.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I don't think the problem is with insurance companies. Its probably with the type of insurance. I've never known an insurance company refuse to offer insurance but its a particular type of policy.

A month by month policy is usually required which unfortunately is very expensive. This should be distinguished from a short term car policy which cannot be renewed after 28 days.

You need to look here

Obviously you will need to be licensed etc.

There shouldn't be any difficulty with finding a company but its sadly expensive.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried ecar but they do not offer insurance to cars which have been seized.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
That hasn't been my experience I'm afraid. .

I will opt out for others to see if anybody can offer more
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

The insurance companies will refuse this insurance if it is in a compound. In addition when your friend comes to buy insurance next time, expect it to cost several more times than the car cost.

If he drives with no insurance again, he is likely to get a substantial ban and short custodial sentence. He needs to find a friend who has an insurance policy on their own car which covers them to drive other vehicles. Whether it does that or not is on the certificate. Most policies used to do that but more and more they do not. Alternatively pay a recovery company to retrieve it. Expect to pay £200 or so.

There is no reason why he cannot get full insurance for 12 months himself.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today and over weekend, because I am online and
off-line. Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it
was not what you want to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site
keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my
answer a positive rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy"
(like ebay), it is my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.