How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I received a letter from the police saying that i have

This answer was rated:

Hello, I received a letter from the police saying that i have been caught on a speed camera going 40mph in a 30mph back in January. I Only got the letter the other day, in person by a police officer, asking if i was the driver and that they have pictures of my motor cycle doing this. I was aware that i had to get a letter 14 days after the incident and 20 odd days to reply after that. Should I fill out this letter and except what ever punishment may come or are they in the wrong for leaving it 2 months to contact me...?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Was the vehicle registered to you at your current address?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it is...
Hi Lee

This is an odd situation. A notice of intended prosecution must be served within 14 days of the date of the incident. Failure to do this is a bar to prosecution. As the police have served the notice well outside the time limit you should return the blank document to the police with a covering letter simply saying you are not accepting the notice as it is time barred. There are some exceptions to the rule e.g. where the registered keeper details cannot be found, but as the vehicle has always been registered to you and you have not moved, this should not be an issue. Hopefully that will be the end of the matter.

Alice H and other UK Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you