How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 70535
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I have recieved a court citation for failing to pay a

Customer Question

Hello I have recieved a court citation for failing to pay a fine for not wearing a seatbelt i was a passenger in a van I simply forgot to pay it on time on the citation they have spelled my name wrong my address wrong my postcode wrong any advice please
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

I am sorry but this would make no difference to validity.

There is case law on what makes these things defective and it literally has to be such that you cannot understand that it is for you. A misspelling is not sufficient I’m afraid. The incorrect post code is a non issue.

The fact that the address is wrong can be an issue depending on how severe the error is. The extent of the issue though is just that the Court may say there cannot be certainty that you were properly summons and direct the PF to serve again. If the extent of it is that it contained an incorrect post code then I’m afraid that would not offend.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They have wrong postcode street name and have spelled my name wrong

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
That would not change my answer above i'm afraid.

The very best that would happen is the PF would be directed to summons again with the correct address but since you did receive the citation its all a bit of a non issue. It depends whether they can prove you received it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So what's the worse case if I admit the charge I didnt receive a reminder or anything about it I forgot about it due to alot of stress in the family

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
If this is just a seatbelt matter then its just a fine at court.

The fines are higher than the fixed penalty and there will be court costs of £85 ish.

Some courts will give you a fine of £45 plus the surcharge of £15 to deal with you as though you had the fixed penalty but that cannot be guaranteed.