How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 70292
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,My partner caused a car accident - nobody was injured

This answer was rated:

Hello, My partner caused a car accident - nobody was injured but he caused a damage on a bus shelter and was just above the drinking limit. He is being charged with drink driving and leaving the scene of an accident, although he didn't leave the scene, he just walked away of the car because he could smell something just after it happened and got scared the car could catch a fire. Anyway, he is going to court this Friday (April,12th) and thinks getting a solicitor is 'waste of money' (although I strongly disagree with him), and I'm really scared whether he can actually end up in a prison. Could you kindly advise what charges he could get if he's found guilty? Is it ok for him to go without a solicitor or is he going to make it just worse? What would you suggest to do, say in a court?


PS: He is foreign (so am I), but apparently an interpreter should be present and we live in Corby, Northamptonshire UK. He never had any problems with the law or a police. Many thanks.


Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is he pleading guilty?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure, probably not guilty or shall he plead guilty?

Well, what is his defence?

Does he deny these allegations?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just called him and he said he is pleading guilty in terms of the drink driving but about about leaving the scene, he is going to say he was in a shock a thought the car was going to catch a fire, so he and his mates walked towards his friends house that is close to were the accident happened.












































































If he does that they will vacate his guilty plea and set it down for trial. He would be raising a defence if he said that.

Actually the Crown might take a plea to drink driving alone and drop the failing to stop and report although its always better negotiated by a solicitor than a defendant.

If he was just over the legal limit then he is facing a fine and a ban of 12 - 16 months. The fact of the accident is an aggravating feature as will be leaving the scene but if this is a reading of only just over it still falls into the fine category. They may ban him for longer to reflect it though.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.
Jo C. and other UK Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, many thanks for the answer - I did rate you answer.


And yes, please if you could give us more information that would be much appreciated. From your personal opinion, what would you suggest to do please?


Also, can he actually end up in prison for leaving the scene?


Thank you.

Failing to stop and report does carry 6 months custody but its very rare.

I've only ever seen it once and that involved a case where a driver had struck a pedestrian who subsequently died and the crown were able to prove that if he had stayed and summons help the pedestrian probably would have survived.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much, that calmed me down a little.


Thanks for all the answers! Bye

No problem.

All the best.