Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Got a notice of intended prosecution for crossing a level crossing.

Got a notice of intended prosecution for crossing a level crossing. Says the lights had been flashing for 1 second. but from my experience as i was just about to cross it turned amber. i couldnt stop in the middle as it was unsafe so i carried on until i was on the other side. any help?
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to know what i should do? and how much i would get fined?

If you accept travelling when the lights were amber then you should be entering a guilty plea. Its an offence to cross on amber unless stopping would cause an accident.

You will be given 3 points and a fine proportionate to your means. The maximum is £1000. You will not get the maximum. You would probably get more than the fixed penalty amount of £60.

They can summons for driving without due care if the crossing is a very long time after the lights went red but one second is not sufficient.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my answer and then I will give you related information for free.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do i need to write a statement to say i accept the the travelling or do i just leave it blank?

No, you don't have to mitigate at all and usually with traffic offences there isn't much that can be said beyond expressing remorse.