How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 70405
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have taken A wrong turn off a island in Shrewsbury and broke

This answer was rated:

Have taken A wrong turn off a island in Shrewsbury and broke the weight limit . Have a court summons and a option to plead guilty by post what is the best thing to do and what is the possible outcome apart from court costs
Lynsey Evans

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was driving a 18t lorry which is 16 ft in length so smaller than some 7.5t lorries on my way to deliver to bell lane in Shrewsbury I was cut up on the island and missed my turning and in error went up London road in Shrewsbury which is one of many weight limited roads it was almost 9am and I felt it would be more dangerous to try and turn around as there is a school on that road so as my sat nav showed it wasn't a long distance to where I needed to be I carried on. I recieved a letter from trading standards to which I explained the above and that I was driving and have now recieved court summons to which I could plead guilty by post ! I don't know what is best to do how to minimise any fine or if they can give me points on my licence



What's the legislation on your summons sheet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In the offence it says contrary to section 5 of the road traffic regulation act 1984

You will find the legislation here

and it is in the vaguest of terms! They pretty much only have to show that you contravened an instruction. You seem to accept that you did since you felt it more dangerous to turn around.

For that reason, a guilty plea is probably sensible. You probably knew that already.

In terms of mitigation, with road traffic generally there isn't a great deal that can be said. Most traffic offences are ones that are committed by most of us at least some of the time. You don't to have pro criminal attitudes to commit traffic offences.

Generally its a matter of pleading guilty and expressing remorse.

This particular offence is aggravated by the fact that you seem to be a professional driver. Also, I wouldn't volunteer the fact that there was a school close by. They may know about it anyway but I wouldn't suggest running around shouting about it.

You want to be emphasising your hitherto good character if possible, the fact that it was just an accident really and the shortness of any distance driven in a prohibited way.

You will be fined a proportionate sum and asked to pay costs of £85 plus the victim surcharge

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.

Jo C. and other UK Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you