UK Traffic Law

Have UK Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

UK Traffic Law

A speed camera flashed at me from the other side of the road

Customer Question
as i was driving towards...
A speed camera flashed at me from the other side of the road as i was driving towards it. I thought that these flash type of speed cameras only flash pin your rear as you pass them . is this true ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: UK Traffic Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2012
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer

Joshua :

Welcome to JustAnswer! If you've queries once you've read my answer do ask. When satisfied, please kindly click the Green ACCEPT button

Joshua :

Was it one of the "box type" cameras with the white lines like a ruler painted on the road by the camera please?

Joshua :

Easier - was it no 1 or no. 2
1) http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-northerner/2011/jun/22/manchester-speed-camera-map
2) http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=22816

Customer:

I did not see any lines as it was dark I know this camera as it is the yellow box type that omits a white bright flash butas it pints in the opposite direction to the way i was travelling i am sure it was they type that goes off as you pass it. It has been at this site in Worthing on the A27 for years at the end of a dual carriageway into a single lane 40 mph area. surely flossing directly across the road into you is dangerous to you vision ?

Joshua :

Thanks. If it flashed it will be no.1 above. They are radar controlled and measure you as you apprach and therefore can only take a picture from behind. If it flashed you from the front then you will not receive a ticket as they rely on photo evidence of your car passing over the white lines painted on the road.

Joshua :

They can go off accidentally and it may either be this or another car set it off going in the other direction. You should have nothing to worry about.

Customer:

it was no1 i am sure so thanks

Joshua :

No problem. TIckets must be issued within 14 days so you would know before long but based on the above there is nothing to be concerned about.

Joshua :

Is there anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

No just that are you pretty sure about this as there was no other car passing on the other side

Joshua :

Yes if it is the box that flashes they require you to approach the camera so that it can take two pictures of you from behind at fixed intervals. They can then determine how fast you were going by the number of white lines between the two pictures. They need this evidence to convict. Also the radar equipment scans from behind the camera so it is just a false trigger most likely - may or may not have had anything to do with yu but based on what you say you will not get a valid ticket or almost certainly no ticket at all.

Customer:

ok thank you and goodnight

Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Joshua
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer