How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 70414
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has a parking charge notice from UKPC issued for

Resolved Question:

My daughter has a parking charge notice from UKPC issued for overstaying the time limit in Mcdonalds. It gives the address as just the first part of the postcode, there are two macdonalds with this postcode. It doesn't say anything about who the driver was just that as the registered keeper she is has to pay 100 pound for the terms and conditions that she agreed t by parking. A second letter has now arrived warning of additional charges. The offence took place at 0100 and for the whole duration of the car being parked she was in mcadonalds with friends. What is the best way to proceed.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 years ago.
Have you admitted being the driver yet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No we have admitted nothing but she was the driver
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 years ago.

Good. This is a private land fine. They are unenforceable. This is not a parking fine however it may look. These companies are private firms that have no more right to punish you for the manner of your parking than your neighbour does. Only the police or the local Council can do that. These are issued on the basis that you have accepted a contract by parking there and breached it by staying too long. To make that work they would have to hang signs over almost every bay and anyway, they still cannot show loss.

The way to stop them dead is to write back refusing to give them the name of the driver. Please note that DOES NOT mean you should lie. Some people don't seem to be able to see the difference between REFUSING the name of the driver and giving false information but there is a very substantial one. They have no power to force from you the name of the driver as they are not the police. They only have a 'contact' with the driver and not the registered keeper.

Please note that will not stop them writing to you. They will send lots of threatening letters. They will pass it on to debt collection and they may get a solicitor to write to you. Unless you actually get a court summons these communications are nothing to worry about. Refusing details of the driver puts an end to any real action being taken.

I'm happy to discuss this but please remember to click on accept.
Jo C. and other UK Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you