UK Traffic Law

Have UK traffic law questions? Ask a traffic lawyer online.

Morning. Two years ago I got a simple caution for saying a…

Morning. Two years ago I...
Morning. Two years ago I got a simple caution for saying a police officer SHUT UP after she made racial remarks while performing a check (ID, searching hand bag etc.). Now it is very difficult for me to find a proper imployment. I am a swimming teacher. How can I remove it? Will it it be shown in disclosure for life? Can I travel outside UK now? Thank you.
6/25/2010
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Can you give me a few more details in regard to the caution?
Yes. I can. What do you want to know please?

Charges:Drunk and disorderly in public place, assault a onstable in the execution of her duty.

SIMPLE CAUTION 31.07.08

Sorry, I've just realised what you are asking.

I'm afraid that if you accepted a caution then it cannot be removed. I wouldn't have advised you to accept a caution. If the Crown accepted that you just said the words 'SHUT UP' then you would never have been convicted even of S5 public order. But a caution was taken and I'm afraid that an end to the matter.

It will be spent immediately and so will not show on standard CRB. But I suspect that you are enhanced checked and it will always be visible im afraid. You can ask the police to remove it but they probably would not.

In any event, this is a minor offence. Its very unlikely that anybody would deny you employment for that reason.

Will I be able to travel? I mean USA for example. Other countries?
It is a relevant consideration as you do have a caution. You will need to declare it but if its just for S5 they are not likely to refuse you entry.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What is S5 please?

S5 public order.

If you only told her to shut up then this would not amount to either of the charges for which you were cautioned.

Unfortunately, she claimed I kicked her while she was dragging me to the car (actually she claimed I kicked her in the police station). She also claimed bruising while no medical evidence was provided. That was a package of lies with only witness, her police co-partner. The case went to magistrate court and I was found quilty of two charges. What sort of information will be visible on my disclosure? Thanks.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.